Losing a loved one is never easy, and when you lose someone close to you due to the negligent or reckless actions of another it's even more frustrating. Not only will the hole in your heart never heal, but a death in the family can leave behind serious financial hardships as well. Overcoming these hardships isn't easy, especially when you're trying to mourn.
Our Arcadia wrongful death attorney knows that this is a difficult process, and we fight to get you justice for your loved ones. We make those who are responsible pay for their actions so you can heal and move on.
Can You Sue?
Florida courts allow you to file an Arcadia wrongful death lawsuit if you can show that the death of your loved one was due to the negligence or recklessness of another. The specific type of accident may have an impact on what this includes, but some examples of negligence and recklessness are:
- Drunk driving
- Texting while driving
- Failure to follow all applicable traffic laws
- Not maintaining a safe working environment for employees
- Not maintaining a safe property for the public or guests
- And more
These are just a few examples. When you contact us and speak to an Arcadia wrongful death attorney, we'll review your case and see just what your rights are and how we can get you the restitution that you deserve.
Who Can Sue?
An Arcadia wrongful death lawsuit can be filed by any immediate family members including:
In addition, siblings and some other family members may also be able to seek compensation if they are dependent upon the deceased for financial assistance or services.
It's important to remember that you only have 2 years in which to file a claim for wrongful death. Waiting too long negates your legal right to receive compensation.
What Damages Can You Receive?
An accidental death settlement can include a lot of different damages since the loss of a loved one could impact your life in numerous, very dramatic ways. Some of the damages that you may receive include:
- Compensation for medical bills related to the accident
- Compensation for funeral costs
- Compensation for the loss of parental guidance a child will lose when a parent dies
- Compensation for companionship to spouses and children
- Damages paid based on the long-term financial contribution the deceased would have had on the family.
That last point is the most complex. In order to ensure that you get a fair settlement, our attorneys work with financial and medical experts to look at the long-term impacts of a death. This can include things like:
- What would the person have earned each year?
- What would their life expectancy have been?
- What kind of pension or retirement funds would they have brought in?
These and other questions all need to be looked at in order to ensure that you get the compensation you're owed. We fight to get you the most money, so you aren't left struggling after losing a loved one.
Are You Being Pushed Around?
One of the biggest challenges for those who have lost a loved one is that they can easily be bullied and taken advantage of. Insurance companies, businesses, and legal teams for the other side all try their best to avoid paying out what you're owed. Some things they may do include:
- Refusal to pay
- Stalling or giving you the 'run around'
- Forcing you to fill out endless, needless forms and paperwork
- Offering settlement amounts that are far below what you really deserve
These bullies can make you feel like you have no legal rights at all and that you're all alone in the aftermath of an accidental death. They don't care about your situation, only their bottom line. But our team is here to make sure that this doesn't happen to you. We'll stand up to the other side and show them that you're serious about your compensation and about getting justice.
We fight for the injured and the bereaved, and not for the powerful. We'll get your life back on track so you can focus on mourning instead of on money worries. Contact us today for a free consultation.
The lawyers of Goldman Babboni Fernandez & Walsh have the firm belief that justice pays.