Bradenton Lawyer Compares Side-Impact Collisions To Other Kinds Of Car Crashes
You grip the steering wheel tightly as you approach the intersection. The light turns green and you begin accelerating into the intersection. Suddenly, a vehicle traveling perpendicular to you fails to stop and violently crashes into your passenger side at full speed. The deafening sound of crunching metal fills your ears while your body is thrust sideways from the immense force of the collision. In a split second, your life is irrevocably changed. If you have been the victim of a debilitating side-impact crash in Bradenton Florida, you need experienced attorneys who understand every facet of these complex cases. The team at Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh has decades of combined expertise analyzing key factors and legal considerations for side-impact crashes at dangerous intersections like US-41 and 53rd Avenue. We fight for maximum compensation as you focus on healing. Contact us today for a free case review.
Understanding Side-Impact Crashes
Side-impact collisions, also referred to as T-bone accidents or broadside collisions, occur when the side of one vehicle is impacted by the front or rear of another vehicle. These crashes often transpire at intersections, particularly when a vehicle fails to stop at a red light or stop sign and crashes into the side of a crossing vehicle.
- Side-impact crashes frequently lead to severe injuries for vehicle occupants since the sides of most vehicles offer less protection than front and rear ends. The impact causes the struck vehicle to experience massive forces that can easily intrude into the passenger compartment.
- The most common injuries from side-impact crashes include:
- Head trauma: The sudden impact can cause the head to hit the side of the vehicle, resulting in concussions, skull fractures, and brain injuries.
- Chest injuries: The force of the impact may cause broken ribs, internal organ damage, and collapsed lungs.
- Spinal cord damage: The abrupt movement of the body can lead to muscle strains, whiplash, and damage to the cervical spine.
- Leg and pelvic fractures: The area below the vehicle’s door, including legs and hips, are extremely vulnerable to breaks and fractures.
To determine liability in a side-impact collision, investigators evaluate factors like traffic control devices, visibility, and maneuvers of the vehicles leading up to and during the crash. Lawyers can help victims pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. The team at Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh has extensive experience handling side-impact crash cases in Bradenton and surrounding areas.
Key Factors That Contribute to Side-Impact Crashes
Side-impact collisions, also known as T-bone accidents, often occur at intersections when one vehicle strikes the side of another. Several factors frequently contribute to these crashes, including:
- Illegal driving maneuvers. Executing illegal turns, such as unprotected left turns or U-turns, is a common cause of side-impact wrecks. For instance, a motorist turning left from 51st St onto Manatee Ave in Bradenton without yielding to oncoming traffic could collide with a vehicle traveling eastbound on Manatee Ave.
- Impaired driving. Intoxicated, drug-impaired, drowsy or distracted driving significantly increases the risk of a side-impact collision. For example, an impaired driver speeding westbound on Manatee Ave could run a red light at the intersection with Haben Blvd and crash into a vehicle properly turning left from Haben Blvd onto Manatee Ave.
- Careless driving. Simple negligence, such as failing to stop at a stop sign or red light, changing lanes without checking blind spots, or disregarding right-of-way rules are careless actions that often lead to side-impact wrecks. For instance, a careless driver southbound on Cortez Rd could blow through the stop sign at 51st St in Bradenton and slam into an eastbound vehicle on 51st St, resulting in a serious T-bone crash.
- Vehicle defects. Faulty vehicle parts such as defective brakes, accelerators or steering components could also potentially contribute to side-impact collisions in some cases. For example, if a vehicle's brakes failed at the intersection of Manatee Ave and 9th St in Bradenton, it could crash into oncoming cross traffic resulting in a traumatic side-impact wreck.
As these examples illustrate, side-impact crashes are frequently the result of hazardous driving behaviors as well as vehicle malfunctions. Gaining a comprehensive understanding of the factors that commonly cause these collisions can help prevent these types of tragic accidents and support any resulting legal claims.
Side-Impact Crash Hot Spots in Bradenton, Florida
Some of the most dangerous intersections for side-impact crashes in Bradenton are found on major thoroughfares like 12th Avenue West and Cortez Road. Bradenton Police Department data indicates 12th Avenue West and Cortez Road had the highest rates of side-impact collisions from 2016 to 2020.
The intersections at 15th Street West and 18th Street West saw a high frequency of broadside crashes. These intersections have heavy traffic flow, short traffic light times, and vehicles traveling at relatively high speeds. All of these factors increase the likelihood of vehicles turning in front of oncoming traffic or running red lights, resulting in dangerous T-bone accidents.
Cortez Road is a major east-west corridor in Bradenton with intersections every few blocks. Some of the most problematic intersections for side-impact wrecks on Cortez Road were at 26th Street West, 34th Street West, and 43rd Street West. 12th Avenue, Cortez Road also experiences substantial traffic and vehicles traveling at high speeds. The sheer number of intersections along this road also multiplies the opportunities for vehicles to collide at right angles.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a side-impact crash in Bradenton, especially at one of these dangerous intersections, you may be entitled to compensation. Our experienced car accident attorneys can investigate the details of your crash, determine fault and negligence, and fight to recover damages for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses.
The Unique Dangers of Side-Impact Crashes
Side-impact collisions present unique dangers due to the limited structural protection along the sides of vehicles. In these accidents, the impact force is concentrated on a small area, increasing the likelihood of severe injury or death. According to research from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, side-impact crashes account for 18% of all traffic fatalities.
- Limited side impact protection. Vehicle sides offer little barrier between occupants and the intruding vehicle. Doors and side panels cannot withstand high-speed impacts, causing the striking vehicle to penetrate into the passenger compartment. This can crush occupants between the vehicles, resulting in traumatic injuries like broken bones, internal bleeding, or spinal damage.
- Rollover risk. Side-impact crashes often cause vehicles to rotate and rollover, ejecting occupants from the vehicle. Unrestrained occupants have a high risk of death in rollover accidents. According to NHTSA, rollovers account for nearly 35% of passenger vehicle occupant fatalities.
- Fire hazard. Side impacts can rupture the vehicle's fuel system, leading to fires that cause severe burns, scarring, and death. Fuel spills and leaks also increase the risk of explosion, especially in high-speed collisions.
- Difficult emergency response. The extensive damage from side impacts complicates extrication and rescue of occupants. Doors and windows may be jammed, requiring special equipment to cut through vehicle frames and extract victims. The complex rescue efforts reduce the critical "golden hour" for emergency treatment.
With the higher severity and injury risks of side-impact crashes, thorough investigations and legal counsel are critical. The attorneys at Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh have extensive experience handling side-impact collision cases in Bradenton and throughout Florida. Our team can analyze all factors in these accidents to pursue maximum compensation for victims and their families.
Consult A Car Accident Lawyer in Bradenton at Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh After a Side-Impact Crash
If you have been involved in a side-impact collision in Bradenton, it is in your best interest to consult with an experienced car accident lawyer. The attorneys at Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh have successfully handled countless side-impact crash cases in the Bradenton area. Their legal team can thoroughly analyze your specific accident by reviewing details such as:
- The time and location of the crash, including road conditions. For example, a side-impact collision at a busy intersection like 14th St W and 51st Ave W during rush hour may indicate failure to yield right-of-way.
- Damage to all vehicles involved. Extensive damage, especially to the side of one vehicle, points to the force and severity of impact.
- Any traffic violations or reckless behavior. Running a red light or stop sign, for instance, demonstrates negligence.
- Injuries to all parties. Severe or life-threatening injuries emphasize the need for financial compensation to cover medical bills and other damages.
Once the factors of your side-impact crash have been examined, the attorneys can determine who is liable and build a solid case to pursue damages. They will handle all communication with insurance companies and negotiate the maximum settlement for your injuries and other losses. If a fair resolution cannot be reached, the legal team is fully prepared to take the case to court. Their experience and expertise significantly increase your chances of a favorable outcome.
Consulting with Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh as soon as possible after a side-impact collision in Bradenton is critical. Their guidance and legal counsel can alleviate the stress and uncertainty, allowing you to focus on recovery. With the law firm’s proven track record of success in such cases, you can feel confident your rights and best interests are being well represented.
As a law firm specializing in auto accident and personal injury cases in Bradenton, Florida, Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh has the experience and expertise to properly analyze the factors involved in a side-impact collision and determine fault and liability. Our team of attorneys will conduct a meticulous investigation of the vehicles and events leading up to and during the crash.
We will collect police reports, photographs, witness statements, and vehicle computer data to gain a comprehensive understanding of how the impact occurred at high-traffic areas like the intersection of State Road 64 and Upper Manatee River Road.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a side-impact crash in Bradenton, do not delay in contacting our office for a free case evaluation. Our dedicated legal professionals will review the details of your accident and advise you on the merits of your claim. We operate on a contingency fee basis, so you pay nothing upfront and owe us no fees unless we secure compensation for you.
The evidence we gather at the crash scene and from the vehicles involved is crucial for determining fault and the cause of the collision. We will look for any signs that one driver failed to stop at a traffic signal or stop sign, changed lanes improperly, or made an unsafe turn in front of oncoming traffic on State Road 70 or Cortez Road West. Photographs, witness statements, and black box data can all be used to support your claim.
To receive fair compensation, we must prove that the other driver was negligent and liable for your injuries and damages. By thoroughly analyzing the physical evidence and events leading up to the crash, our Bradenton car accident lawyers can build a strong case to establish liability on the part of the at-fault driver. We will negotiate assertively with insurance companies to recover damages for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and property damage.
If you were hurt in a side-impact collision in Bradenton, call Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh today for a free consultation. Our experienced attorneys will stand up for your rights and work to obtain the maximum settlement for your case.
Side-impact crashes present complex factors and legal considerations. Thorough investigation and analysis are crucial, from recreating the scene and vehicles’ positions to understanding sight lines and points of impact. Work closely with accident reconstruction experts and legal teams to build the strongest case, leveraging insights into side impact safety standards and testing. Stay up-to-date on emerging side impact protection systems and technology. With dedication and meticulous attention to detail, you can achieve the most favorable outcome for your clients affected by these traumatic collisions. The attorneys at Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh have deep experience with side impact cases in Bradenton. Trust us to handle your case with compassion and expertise.