Fatal Multi-Vehicle Crash On I-75 At University Parkway
MANATEE COUNTY - UPDATED June 25th - Florida Highway Patrol announced 9 people were injured and 2 people have died as a result of being involved in a multi-vehicle pile-up on Interstate 75 at the University Parkway overpass.
The accident took place as a 46 year old man from Parrish Florida was driving a semi tractor-trailer on southbound I-75 approaching the overpass at University Parkway located at mile marker 213.
Traveling directly in front of the tractor-trailer heavy truck in multiple southbound lanes were:
- • 34 year old woman from Sarasota driving a sedan
- • 58 year old man from Land O' Lakes Florida driving a sedan
- • 34 year old man from Trinity Florida driving a semi-tractor trailer
- • 25 year old man from Tampa driving a sedan with a 22 year old female passenger from Miramar Florida
- • 62 year old man from Cape Coral driving a pick up truck
- • 45 year old man from Land O Lakes Florida driving a sport utility vehicle
- • 53 year old man from St. Petersburg Florida driving a van with a 72 year old male passenger (identity not yet disclosed)
- • 67 year old man from Bradenton Florida driving a sedan.
As the group of vehicles approached the overpass at University Parkway they lawfully slowed down due to traffic congestion further ahead on the highway.
However the semi tractor-trailer, driven by the 46 year old man following the other vehicles failed to slow down.
AT 1:12 PM the heavy commercial truck crashed into the slower traffic at speed, the force of the collision and momentum of the heavy large truck caused the other vehicles to slam into each other. The crash impacts fanned out from the original impact until all traffic lanes where blocked by collisions.
All of the vehicles finally came to a stop within the roadway on the University Parkway overpass.
The collision resulted in several casualties including:
- • The 22 year old woman from Miramar Florida died in the crash
- • The 72 year old passenger of the Van died in the crash
- • The 25 year old man from Tampa was critically injured in the collision
- • Several others suffered minor injuries in the accident including, the 25 year old man from Sarasota, the 58 year old man from Land O Lakes, the 34 year old truck driver from Trinity FL, the 62 year old man from Cape Coral, the 45 year old from Land O Lakes, the 53 year old from Saint Petersburg, and the 97 year old from Bradenton
The 22 year old woman from Miramar was wearing her seat belt at the time of the crash. It has not yet been determined if the 72 year old man who died had been wearing a safety belt.
This crash remains under investigation by the Florida Highway Patrol's Traffic Homicide Investigation Section.
UPDATED: 2:58pm June 24
MANATEE COUNTY - Florida Highway Patrol announced a multi-vehicle fatal crash on interstate 75 at University Parkway (mile marker 213).
The crash has resulted in the closure of all southbound lanes. All southbound traffic is currently being re-routed to off the highway onto University Parkway.
UPDATED: 5:17pm June 24
FHP has stated the fatal crash involved 9 vehicles including, 7 passenger vehicles and 2 semi-tractor trailers directly on the University Parkway Overpass on Southbound I-75.
Further details will be posted as they are available.
What To Do After An Auto Accident?
Injury Attorney Explains What You Should Do After Being Involved In An Auto Accident [watch now]
How Long To File A Claim After A Crash?
Weeks? Years? Learn how long you have to file a claim if I've been the victim of somebody else's negligence. [watch now]
How Do You Deal With The Insurance Adjuster After A Crash?
Whether or not you choose to not hire a lawyer, there are several essential things you need to know about dealing with the insurance adjuster after an accident. [watch now]