What Steps Do I Need To Take If I Am Hurt In A Motorcycle Accident?
When you're injured in a Florida motorcycle accident, it can be difficult to know what to do or where to turn. Since motorcycle riders have little protection between them and the world, an accident on your bike can lead to some of the most serious injuries possible including things like:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal injuries
If you've been involved in a motorcycle accident, you not only have a long road to recovery physically, but financially as well. That's why getting the right compensation amount is so important. Our lawyers will fight to get you what you deserve following an accident, but there are several steps that you can take which will help ensure that you get the compensation you're owed.
Here are the main steps to remember when you're hurt in a motorcycle accident in Florida.
- Gather Info If Possible - If your injuries are severe, you may not be able to do this until hours or even days after the accident. But whenever possible, jotting down some notes about the accident can help give a better picture of what happened. You can also take photos with your phone, documenting your injuries, your motorcycle, and even the scene of the accident if possible.
- Get Medical Help - Even if you don't feel like you're hurt, it's vital that you visit a medical professional immediately following an accident. Many injuries could take days or weeks to manifest, and while you may not feel injured now, you could suddenly develop symptoms. The longer you wait to get medical attention, the less likely it is that you will be able to connect those injuries to the accident. In fact, Florida PIP coverage only extends to those who seek medical help within 2 weeks from the time of the accident.
- Keep Documents Of Everything - The more information you have to provide to your lawyer, the better. Keep medical bills, notes of lost time from work, interest on debts that are backing up because of your injuries, and more. Even write down each day's struggles like difficulty sleeping or other problems you're having due to your injuries. All of this info will help your attorney when structuring your case.
- Don't Talk To The Other Side - Starting the day that you're involved in the accident, you may have representatives from the other side begin contacting you. They could offer initial settlement offers or try to request information about your accident. It's important that you direct them to your lawyer instead of trying to answer all of their questions beyond the most basic ones. The more that you talk, the more you could destroy your case without realizing it.
- Let Us Review Your Settlement Offer - If you are offered a settlement, you need to let your lawyer review it before you agree to accept it. The reason is simple - many insurance companies or legal teams will offer you a settlement early on that is far less than you deserve. The injured may see this as their only chance for compensation and accept it. If you make this mistake, you have voided your right to further compensation, and will be unable to receive any additional money to help with your recovery.
Above all else, the best thing you can do following a Florida motorcycle accident is to contact our legal team and speak to a lawyer. Our attorneys understand your confusion and frustration, and know that you'll need help. We fight for the injured to make those responsible for their accident pay.