Outlining Your Priorities After A Car Accident In Southwest Florida
In those moments immediately following a car accident in Southwest Florida there is going to be a lot on your mind. You may be injured, you may be experiencing some level of shock or anxiety, and you may be unsure as to what you’re supposed to do next. Knowing your priorities after a car accident in Southwest Florida gives you a foundation to go on, and lets you know the steps you should be taking to give yourself the best possible chance of a positive outcome.
After you’ve been in an accident in Southwest Florida, you should:
- Assess your health first – The single biggest priority you have after a car accident within the region is your health and safety. Assess yourself in the immediate moments following an accident and react accordingly. If you feel stiffness or pain in your neck, let others know and try not to move at all until paramedics or emergency responders are on the scene. Moving even a little bit to get up and out of the vehicle can lead to more damage and potentially devastating consequences to your spinal cord. If you notice lacerations, potentially broken bones, or any other serious injuries, remain where you are and allow medical professionals to assess you. Failing to do so could mean risking further injury and harming your chances to receive adequate compensation.
- Notify the authorities – If you’re able, your next priority should be notifying the authorities. A call to 911 for emergency medical help and police presence will help to secure the scene and ensure all parties are safe and cared for. Even if you yourself do not feel as though you’re injured, calling to be checked on and getting evaluated is always recommended.
- Take some photos – As you’re waiting for emergency services to arrive, if you’re able, it’s then time to take some photos of the accident scene. Take photos of the damage to your vehicle, any injuries you may have sustained, road conditions, skid marks, and any other relevant pieces of the scene. You may need to wait until the accident scene has cleared or traffic has been stopped before taking photos of the scene safely.
- Collect witness information – You’ll also want to collect witness information from anyone who may have seen the accident occur. This information includes simple contact details like name, phone number, and accident statements if they’re willing to provide them.
- Contact a personal injury attorney – After your injuries have been assessed, your accident reported, and evidence collected, it’s then time to contact a skilled personal injury attorney in Southwest Florida. Your personal injury attorney will work with you to ensure you get the compensation you deserve from your insurance provider or pursue a lawsuit in cases of severe auto accident injury. Any “missed” steps in evidence collection can be guided by your attorney to ensure you have all information you need to build a strong and accurate case.
No Southwest Florida driver needs to be blindsided by the aftereffects of an auto accident within the area. By having a sturdy foundation of priorities, you’ll know what to do next to ensure you’re doing what you can for the most positive experience. If you’re looking for a skilled and experienced Southwest Florida personal injury attorney to represent your case, our professionals can help. Contact us at JusticePays.com today to learn more about building a strong case after your area auto accident, what our representation can bring to your case, or what type of compensation you may be able to receive.