In 2019, Florida ranked the third highest in pedestrian fatalities in the United States. In Sarasota, fatal pedestrian accidents have occurred recently to a man crossing US 41, and another to a woman along Clark Road, showing that this area of Florida isn’t exempt from the devastating pedestrian accidents occurring all over the state.
Pedestrian Accident Fatalities In The Last 10 Years
Pedestrian accidents tracked throughout the last decade really show the depth of the issue occurring in Sarasota and all throughout the state. There were more than 5,800 pedestrian accident fatalities throughout Florida between 2010 and 2021. The North Port, Sarasota, and Bradenton areas alone saw 248 pedestrian fatalities throughout this period. To put into perspective, the Orlando region saw the most pedestrian fatalities throughout the state during this time with 295.
What Causes Pedestrian Accidents?
If a pedestrian stops at a crosswalk, looks both ways, and pays close attention to the traffic around them, it’s reasonable for them to assume they will be safe. However, this isn’t always the case. The most common causes of pedestrian accidents in Sarasota and the whole of Florida include:
• Distracted driving – Distracted driving is a major problem in Florida and throughout the United States, and one that has only been made worse with an increasingly connected world. Engaging with a smartphone, programming a GPS, or messing with a digital radio system are common things that many individuals do while driving, not realizing that they all up the chances of getting into an accident. Any action that takes eyes or attention from the road is an action that puts motorists and pedestrians at risk. Distracted driving is a leading cause of pedestrian accidents in Florida.
• Speeding – Speeding is the leading cause of pedestrian accidents in Florida and throughout the United States. Speeding can cause a motorist to lose control of their vehicle, miss traffic lights or signs, or fail to stop in time for pedestrians that they may not see until it’s too late.
• Failure to yield for pedestrians in crosswalks – Florida’s Driver Yield Law states that a vehicle approaching pedestrians crossing legally at an intersection must yield to allow them to cross. Unfortunately, not all drivers are paying attention to the road or driving at a safe speed, causing them to fail to yield. Pedestrians believing they have the right of way may not realize that the vehicle is not going to stop until it’s too late, leading to devastating pedestrian accidents.
• Failing to signal while turning – If a vehicle fails to signal when they intend to turn, pedestrians walking across roadways will proceed believing that the coast is clear. If the motorist fails to pay close attention to pedestrians about to cross these roadways, they may cause an accident while making their un-signaled turn.
• Disregarding weather conditions – Sarasota sees an annual rainfall of just under 53 inches, which amounts to quite a few slick wet days. Motorists who are failing to drive safely in weather conditions may lead to pedestrian or auto accidents on the road. A motorist may attempt to stop in order to yield to pedestrians, slide on slick roads, and cause an accident that could have been prevented had they been driving appropriately for the road conditions.
When a vehicle strikes a pedestrian, even in slow speeds, the consequences are devastating. To learn more about how legal representation can benefit Sarasota residents, or families of residents, who have been in a pedestrian accident, contact us at JusticePays.com.
What To Do If You Are In An Accident?
Attorney David Goldman has been exceptional in the process of helping me through the case. He has always been easy to reach, whether by phone or email, and has thorough knowledge and explains clearly in depth so you feel safe and confident in your lawyer
I used Michael Babboni and his paralegal, Nicole Moore for a legal matter. They went above and beyond my expectations. During the entire process there was constant communication with both Michael and Nicole. They were extremely organized and on top of my case, which I am very grateful for. Michael truly had my best interests at heart and he was very genuine. I plan on referring Michael to all family and friends and will continue to use him in the future.
I dealt most with Mr. Fernandez. I didn’t know a lot about this process. He took the time to speak with me individually, in person, to explain everything. It was very helpful to actually know and understand the process and what to expect. He closed my case quickly, which was nice that it was not prolonged! I appreciated his hard work and getting me what I felt I deserved after my car accident. I highly recommend him to anyone who needs an honest and reliable lawyer to assist you with your case!
I hired Mr. Walsh after an automobile accident this past March. He and his entire staff were extremely professional. They kept me informed every step of the way and settled my case in a timely manner. Thank you so much for your help.