Your Rights And Getting What You Are Actually Owed
Being injured in an accident can bring a long period of recovery with it – one that isn’t always easy to manage. Overcoming the physical and mental wounds will be difficult, and making things worse is the financial burden accidents can bring with them. Most assume that their insurance coverage will be enough to help them recover without a major financial problem, but that isn’t always the case.
Seeking financial compensation through a personal injury case is a good way to help get the amount needed to avoid financial hardship, but even then it’s an uphill battle. A good personal injury lawyer should be your greatest ally during this process, and can even help ensure that you’re getting what you are actually owed from your insurance company as well.
That’s the aspect of an accident that surprises some – that their insurance company isn’t always going to provide them with the kind of benefits they deserve. Between insurance providers and the attorneys working to protect the person responsible for your injuries, there are a lot of tactics that can be used to demoralize an injured party and avoid paying them out what they deserve. Some of these tactics include:
- Denying Claims – The obvious step that is taken is an outright denial of a claim, even when it may be valid. This is rare, but does occur – especially when seeking damages in a personal injury case.
- Stall Tactics – Insurance companies and those responsible for an accident often use various stalling tactics to try to prevent payment to an injured party or demoralize them. This can often include red tape, making claimants fill out obtuse forms and file mountains of paperwork that may not even be needed.
- Lowball Settlements – Settlement offers that are usually provided initially may not be what is truly owed. Insurance companies and those responsible for an accident often offer a cash settlement that is lower than what you may deserve in the hopes that it will be accepted since it’s a ‘sure thing’. This helps them avoid paying out a fair sum.
All of these tactics use the frustrations and concerns of the injured party to reduce the amount that an entity may have to pay. By making injured parties feel as though they have no options but to take a small settlement, insurance companies and legal teams representing the responsible party are often able to save money. But this throws your life into disarray as you struggle to try to fully recover.
Your personal injury lawyer will work to get you the compensation that you actually deserve, and the first step is understanding just what kind of factors could determine your settlement amount. These include:
- Medical bills
- Future medical costs
- Lost wages due to time missed at work
- Future potential lost wages due to disability
- Pain and mental anguish
- Punitive damages
- Property damage
Each of these factors will need to be considered in order to arrive at a sum that is actually what you are owed. With an attorney on your side, you’ll be able to get a more accurate estimate as to what your compensation amounts should be. Additionally, you’ll be able to rest easy knowing that the insurance companies and other side will be more willing to work towards a fast resolution to your case. With professional accident lawyers on your side, you get the respect needed to break through the stall tactics and other methods they use and arrive at a settlement that lets you gain financial stability and start recovery properly.
Our offices are here to help, and have decades of experience helping those who have been injured in accidents. Contact us today to get your consultation and start getting the compensation that you’re owed.