Out of all the various accidents that one can be involved in while in Florida, slip and fall and other related premises liability style accidents are among the most catastrophic – and the most complex to get compensation for. When you’re hurt in an accident of any kind it can upend your life and leave you struggling to know just what to do. But, the right attorney can help you by helping you file a premises liability lawsuit.
Premises Liability 101
Premises liability is a blanket term that covers a lot of different things. It includes virtually any type of injury that is sustained while on someone else’s’ property including:
- Slips and falls
- Falling items
- And more
Essentially, if you are on someone else’s property and are injured, you may have the grounds to seek compensation. But, first you’ll have to be able to show that your injuries were caused as a direct result of the actions of the other party and their negligence.
What Is Fault
Fault can mean a variety of different things when it comes to personal injury law. But, in terms of a premises liability case it can be even more complex. Essentially, you have to be able to show that the person who was responsible for overseeing or managing the property was aware of safety issues and chose not to alert the public or to correct them.
For example, if you slip on water from a leaky pipe, you must show that the property manager or owner knew about the leak and that they failed to put up a warning about it or fix it in a timely manner. If they weren’t aware of the leak, they can’t be held liable since they had no way to correct the issue.
If you can manage to show that the property owner was negligent, you’ll have the grounds to file for a personal injury lawsuit and get compensation.
A Complex Process However, it’s not that easy to prove fault when it comes to premises liability. In order to do so, an attorney will often use a huge range of different tools and resources including:
- Witness statements
- Past history of problems at the property
- Security camera footage
- Accident reports
- Medical statements
- And more
In short, you’ll need a professional on your side to make sure that you prove your case properly. Premises liability cases are the hardest to prove, but it’s not impossible with the right team on your side.
What Should You Do?
There are a few basic things to do when you’re hurt in a premises liability case. Each of them can help your attorney prove that you’re owed compensation. Here’s a look at the main things to do.
- See a doctor. Always visit a medical professional to get help with your injuries and to make sure that you create a paper trail of your path after the accident.
- Keep records. Make sure you note any hours missed from work due to your injuries, keep your medical bills, and more. This way you will be able to properly prove your case and get the restitution you’re owed.
- Take photos. If you can, take photos of the accident area as soon as possible. This may help you show your lawyer exactly what happened when the accident occurred.
- Don’t talk to anyone on the opposing side. Even though you’re not being arrested, everything you say can and will still be used against you. As such, you’ll want to avoid talking to representatives from the other side. Instruct them to talk to your attorney.
- Get a lawyer. Above all else, be sure you get a good Florida personal injury attorney who handles premises liability. This way you’ll have a proven professional on your side, fighting to get you what you deserve.
A Powerful Ally
Having a lawyer matters in a big way. Insurance companies and legal teams for the other side simply don’t care about you or your bank account – they just want to protect their bottom line. Because of this, they’ll often try to stop you from getting what you’re owed by pushing you around in negotiations. But with an attorney on your side, you get their attention and their respect.
Your lawyer will help in many ways including:
- Faster resolution
- Fairer settlement offers
- Less stress on your shoulders
- You can focus on healing while we do the hard work
- Much better outcome for your case
In short, your lawyer will have a huge impact on your future. They will use their connections and experience to get you the restitution you’re really owed and ensure that you can move on financially after an accident occurs. If you’ve been hurt in any kind of a premises liability case, getting restitution is a must. Our team can help, so be sure to contact us today to get your consultation.