Call Now For A Free Consultation 24/7 (941) 954-1234

Protecting From Dog Bites – Signs A Dog May Become Dangerous


For more than 10,000 years, dogs have been man’s best friend. Like any relationship, however, it’s not always a perfect one. It’s important to remember that dogs are animals, despite domesticated ones with a unique connection to humans, and that like all animals they will have certain instincts. There are a number of reasons why a dog may bite, some of which include:

• Reaction to stress – While humans have their own reactions to stress, like sweating, eating, growing emotional, or getting a headache, a dog’s main reaction to stress is typically to bite or nip. In many cases, this will be a minor nip, but this isn’t always the case.

• They’re scared – When a dog is scared, their first instinct will typically be to protect themselves. The main way a dog protects themselves is through their bite.

• They’re feeling unwell – When we feel unwell, we’re not in the greatest of moods. When an otherwise friendly dog nips or bites, it could be a sign they’re in pain or feeling ill.

• During play – For young dogs in particular, biting and nipping can be a part of play. Typically this is found in puppies and does not cause significant injury.

In some unfortunate cases, some dogs may be trained to show more aggression than others. In these cases, severe dog bites, attacks, and mauling could be the result of even the slightest perceived antagonization.

It’s also important to remember that what makes a dog feel scared or nervous might not make much sense to us at all. For instance, you may know that the mailman comes every day at 3pm, and that he drops off the mail and goes on their way. To a dog, however, this could be viewed as a stranger approaching the den, and the pack must be protected.

Preventing Dog Bites

Friendly neighborhood dogs tend to bring joy and happiness to the overall atmosphere, but any dog could cause a dangerous situation if the circumstances are right. Individuals can help to prevent dog bites from occurring by:

• Not approaching unfamiliar dogs – While most dogs are cute, not all dogs are friendly. Children and adults should never approach a dog that they do not know.

• Allow a dog to get to know you – If you do approach an unfamiliar dog after the owner assures you the situation is safe, make sure the dog gets to calmly get to know you first. Extend your hand to the dog and allow them to sniff it, and the dog will likely either allow you to pet or back away as a sign of unwelcomeness.

• Don’t encourage aggressive play – For dog owners looking to keep others in their community safe, training a dog well and not encouraging aggressive play will ensure your dog knows that nipping and biting is not an acceptable way to interact with others.

What To Do If A Dog Bite Occurs

While 80% of dog bites in the United States do not require medical attention, and many are the result of play going too far, there is the other 20% to pay close attention to. Dog bites by larger and stronger breeds can cause serious and sometimes fatal injuries in a matter of seconds, and it’s important to stay protected. If a bite does occur, the injured individual should be seen by a medical professional straight away. The owner of the offending dog should be able to provide their information to the injured party’s family, and if they do not, a photo should be taken or witness reports recorded in order to ensure they’re held responsible. If you’ve been injured in a dog bite case in Florida, call us at JusticePays.com today to see how you can be compensated.

During his time as a public attorney for the State of Florida, Bernard Walsh developed a passion for defending the legal rights of Florida's citizens. Having seen many people being taken advantage of after being injured and the financial harm that can cause for families he committed himself fully to helping injured clients get justice, by fighting to make greedy insurance companies pay what they owe.

Protecting From Dog Bites – Signs A Dog May Become Dangerous

Goldman Babboni Fernandez
Murphy & Walsh




Attorney Case Review
Get The Justice
You Deserve

Free Attorney Consultation

Law offices
Near you

Serving All Of Southwest Florida